After a fantastic win in Europa on Thursday, Newcastle United were able to keep up the momentum in a 4-2 win at home to Southampton. Despite Southampton taking the lead early on, the team were able to rally round and pull back four goals in superb fashion. Here, we take a look at the five things we can take away from the game:
1. Defence still needs to improve
Firstly we need to sort ourselves out defensively; we gave Lallana far too much room & Southampton got too much of the ball on Santon’s side. Santon is a top footballer but he must be pushed forward as a winger, as we argued earlier this week.
2. Elliot is a decent 2nd keeper
2. Robbie Elliott had a really tough start conceding after just 3 mins. But he recovered extremely well; he made a wonderful save from Rickie Lambert’s free kick on the hour. His kicking gives a lot to be desired but his overall game was excellent.
3. Moussa Sissoko
This bloke seems to get better & better every game. Every time he has the ball in the final 3rd, I think we have a chance of scoring! He is the type of player we have been craving out for years. He is to Newcastle what Frank Lampard is to Chelsea – we just hope he’ll be staying at the end of the season!
4. Cheik Tiote, back to his brilliant best
Cheik Tiote was my Man of the Match today. I thought he was outstanding; he was a tyrant in midfield. A fantastic block on the edge of the box prevented what would have been a wonderful goal. Furthermore, his haircut was brilliant. The commitment he displayed was reminiscent of his early years at the club. His recent performances have not really been up to scratch, and several questions have been raised regarding his place in the starting XI. But when he puts in a performance like he did on Sunday, he is an invaluable asset
5. Is Cisse’s confidence back after wonder strike?
What an unbelievable goal Papiss Cisse scored today. We have to hope the Cisse of last season is back. An amazing strike that gave us a 2-1 lead. It seems Papiss is so much better when he doesn’t need to think about it and instinctively kicks he ball. Is Papiss back? I for one very much hope so!
By Paul Milloy (@Milloy11)
- Cisse’s cracker the highlight as Newcastle beat Southampton 4-2 (101greatgoals.com)